New state budget provision opens the door to Nursing bachelor's degree at CState
The Ohio Fiscal Year 2022-23 budget recently signed by Governor Mike DeWine includes a provision allowing Ohio community colleges to seek approval to offer a bachelor of science degree in nursing, if the college meets certain criteria.
To gain approval from the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE), the proposed nursing bachelor's degree program must provide evidence of regional workforce need for program graduates, and evidence that graduates will be hired by regional employers.
Provost Robbin Hoopes said he anticipates that by early fall, the ODHE will inform interested community colleges about a process to seek approval of new nursing bachelor's degree programs.
Associate Provost Denise Rohr, who served in the past as the Program Chair and as the administrative Director of Cincinnati State's associate degree Nursing program, said Cincinnati State should be able to make a strong case for approval of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree based on factors including:
- Quality – Cincinnati State’s Nursing graduates' pass rates on the nursing licensure examination, NCLEX, regularly equal or exceed other colleges and universities in our region that offer a BSN.
- Equity – Cincinnati State would offer the most affordable pathway in the region to a BSN.
- Health Outcomes – Cincinnati State graduates would add to the diversity of nursing professionals in the region, and well-established research shows that patient health outcomes are better if a hospital’s medical staff mirrors the diversity of its patient population.
Associate Provost Rohr also noted that Cincinnati State already has demonstrated the capacity to offer successful baccalaureate programs through the previously-approved bachelor's degrees in Land Surveying (which already has 21 graduates) and in Culinary and Food Science.
Do you know some future "Faces of Cincy State"?
If you want to recommend a current Cincinnati State student or a CS graduate (like Brittany Coomes, at right) for public recognition of their achievements and hard work, the College Marketing Department and the Office of Admission would like to hear from you!
- "Faces of Cincy State" is a continuing feature on the College website, and these brief student and alumni success stories also are shared through College social media.
- "Faces of Cincy State" stories are included in the CState Counselor Chronicle, a digital newsletter prepared by the Office of Admission for local high school counselors.
Students or alumni recommended for "Faces of Cincy State" need to be willing to share their success story and fill out a media release form giving the College permission to use their photo and information on the website and social media channels.
To recommend new "Faces of Cincy State" or if you have questions, please contact both Web/Digital Media Manager Amy Wagner (firstname.lastname@example.org) and College Representative/Recruiter Kristine Topmiller (email@example.com).
Free parking for students will continue in Fall on Clifton Campus
Cincinnati State will continue to provide free parking for students on Clifton Campus during Fall Semester 2021.
President Monica Posey said, "This Fall we are looking forward to a full and vibrant return of students to all of our campuses. I'm pleased we are able to continue offering free parking for students on our Clifton Campus."
"We hope this will make it a little easier for busy students to get to their classes and move on to other daily responsibilities, while reducing their expenses," President Posey added.
- Overlook specials for July 26-29
- CState bachelor's degree grads featured in ODHE newsletter
- Revised College Operations Manual is posted; Face Mask policy is rescinded
- Condolences to Jackie Turner
- ATLC Open Computer Lab changes hours for July 22
- FYE daytime instructors needed for Fall
- Reciprocity with Kentucky now includes bachelor's degrees
- Virtual Open House for Yoga Teacher Training program on July 23
- Employee Listening Sessions seek comments on College climate
- Welcome, new Benefits Coordinator Dina Henderson
- Mon. 7/26 - New Student CONNECT/Welcome - BTD
- Tue. 7/27 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 7/27 - New Student CONNECT/Welcome - EIT
- Wed. 7/28 - New Student CONNECT/Welcome - HPS
- Thu. 7/29 - New Student CONNECT/Welcome - H&S
- Mon. 8/2 - New Student CONNECT/Welcome - BTD
- Tue. 8/3 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 8/3 - New Student CONNECT/Welcome - EIT
- Wed. 8/4 - New Student CONNECT/Welcome - HPS
- Thu. 8/5 - New Student CONNECT/Welcome - All Divisions